Much of our clients’ success is derived from using our expertise for a wide range of services: initial structuring and financings, regulatory strategies, IP protection, commercial partnerships, and others. Our committed attorneys understand a company’s entire scope of needs, enabling them to deliver impactful, innovative, compliant, and customized solutions.
In other words, Wilson Sonsini provides the comprehensive and integrated corporate, regulatory, intellectual property, and litigation services that fintech companies need.
Our fintech services include the following, among many others:
- Structuring and counseling fintech businesses for compliance with federal and state securities, commodities, payments, and other financial services laws in a manner designed to streamline compliance as much as possible—particularly where there is legal or regulatory uncertainty
- Seeking no-action letters, exemptive orders, and other regulatory relief related to fintech legal issues that pose new questions
- Pursuing informal discussions with regulators regarding new technologies and business models to address regulatory uncertainty
- Forming and registering regulated entities, including investment advisers, broker-dealers, funding portals, money services businesses, and money transmitters; developing compliance programs; and providing ongoing compliance advice for these entities
- Drafting legal opinions and memoranda regarding the status of certain assets as securities; the status of a business as a broker-dealer, investment adviser, investment company, money services business, or money transmitter; and/or the compliance of a client’s business activities with federal and state securities, commodities, and/or payments laws
- Initial structuring and financings, including SAFEs, SAFTs, convertible notes, and other arrangements
- Forming private funds to facilitate the delivery of fintech products and services, including venture capital and private equity funds, and developing necessary disclosure and operating documents
- IPO advisory services and negotiating of the full suite of capital markets offerings, with experience in the United States, Hong Kong, and Chinese markets
- Mergers and acquisitions, with decades-long experience participating in landmark deals
- Tax analysis and mitigation strategies for corporate structures
- Guidance for foreign companies entering U.S. markets, including launch, fundraising, partnerships, M&A, and IP services
- Patents and innovations assistance, including patent portfolio management, patent applications, licensing, due diligence, litigation, and interference and re-examination proceedings
- Technology transactions guidance, including strategic alliances, partnerships, joint ventures, asset sales, collaborations and co-development arrangements, reseller agreements, manufacturing agreements, and global outsourcing transactions, among others
- Wide-ranging litigation services, including trade secrets, commercial, consumer, corporate, patent, securities, and trademark litigation, among other specialties
These are just a portion of our commonly used legal services. Given our extensive experience in related practices, such as intellectual property, cybersecurity, and financial regulation, our firm also has substantial resources to represent a fintech company facing business disputes in critical areas like antitrust, privacy, and securities litigation.